Polka dot is a pattern consisting of an array of large filled circles of the same size. America’s love affair with the polka dot began, perhaps, in 1926, when Miss America was photographed in a polka dot swimsuit. Shortly after, in 1928, Disney introduced its cartoon darling Minnie Mouse wearing a red polka dot dress and matching bow. Throughout the 1930s, polka dot dresses appeared in stores, the fabric suddenly subversive, nipped in by ribbons and accentuated with bows. In 1940, the woozy melody of Frank Sinatra’s ballad “Polka Dots and Moonbeams” captured the height of America’s polka dot mania — that spring, the Los Angeles Times assured its readers, “You can sign your fashion life away on the polka-dotted line, and you’ll never regret it.” The word “polka” itself derives from the Polish for “Polish woman” — in Czech, it translates to “little woman or girl.” Polka dots are inherently diminutive, automatically feminine. Today, when we wear them, we inherit their complicated legacy from the women that have worn them before us — women who have negotiated the shifting realm of trying to rock a dot and be taken seriously at the same time.
Today we find polka dots in every women`s wear category, be it bikini, or a dress or even a jumpsuit. Since Bollywood & celebrities are the most powerful fashion influencers in India, even they cant keep themselves away from the love of polka dots. You will spot celebs frequently flaunting their love of polka dots every other day, especially in summers. So since summers are in its full colours, we thought to give you new style ideas of Polka Dots which like these Bollywood fashionistas, even you may also wear & love.
1. Off Shoulder short Dress : Wear an off shoulder polka dots short dress with ruffles & bell sleeves like Good News actress Kiara Advani. Wear it with a plain pointed heels.
2. Matching seperates : Choose matching seperates where a top is an off shoulder tube with balloon sleeves & a fitted short skirt with a slight slit making the look retro & sexy. Recently Student Of The Year 2 starer cutie Ananya Pandey wore polka dots at an event. Opt for sneakers with it.
3. A Tube dress : Recently got famous beautyful “Aankh maarey” girl Sara Ali Khan spotted in a polka dots tube dress in a minimal look with a plain peep toe heels. A trendy choice espeically if you are going for a Saturday evening fun.
4. Coat Suit : An epitome of hotness & fashion Malaika Arora showed this great style of polka dots where she wore a matching black polka dots short with a coat & a lace black crop top. To break the monotony of black & white adding a contrast bold colour clutch or string bag is a wise idea. You can also wear a polka dots pant suits with different coat style like peplum worn by Vani Kapoor.
4. Polka Dots Pallazo : Mix & match is always fun & creative. Deepika Padukone in her look played with colour as well as the pattern to mix & match. She wears an off shoulder white top with black stripes teamed up with a black palazzo with white polka dots. To accessories the look add just a light pendant & a watch.
5. Flimsy net dress : A proud international star of Indian origin our desi girl Priyanka Chopra shows a perfect example of how to look sexy yet stylish yet elegant. She wears a small polka dot flimsy net dress with a ruffled high colour & full sleeves. A deep neck strappy swimwear style inner making it sexy yet comfortable for summers. Her top bun hairstyle compliments the look well.
6. Halter neck maxi dress : Halter neck always look stylish and glamourous. A white polka dots halter neck maxi dress with a broad white belt is a real retro look & apt for summers. You can also add big 70 style sunglasses.
7. Double denim : Double denim look is as legendary as denim itself. This double denim look is chic, trendy and forever. A matching polka dots denim strappy crop top worn with a matching flared pants is cool for summers. But instead of heels we would suggest to go for sneakers with the look.
8. Indo-western saree : Fashion in India cannot be complete with a saree. A polka dots saree is one thing which majority of the celebs love in Bollywood. Shilpa Shetty who is also known for her chic looks, flaunting her curves in an Indo Western polka dots saree with plain tissue fabric high neck blouse. We also loved the idea of putting a belt on a waist.
9. Jumpsuit : Wearing a jumpsuit is girly yet fashionable. Wear a Polka Dots jumpsuit in any style and you look chic. Perfect attire for a coffee or any casual day out. Wear it any colour and any cut you look as gorgeous as Chitrangada Singh especially if you opt to wear it in your college.
10. An evening gown : Why not try Polka Dots on a red carpet or an event or at a formal cocktail party. A voluminous evening gown in a polka dots will look formal, feminine, elegant & apt for the occasion like the one Kriti Sanon is wearing.
11. Skirt Top : There is no woman who wont like wearing a skirt with top or any western blouse. To make the look classic and formal go for a black and white combination the way talent power house gorgeous Divya Khosla Kumar is wearing.
12. Crop top with a long skirt : Katrina Kaif who next will be seen in Bharat with Salman Khan is showing a great style for summers in polka dots. A white crop top with a polka dots long skirt looks feminine & girly. Its a chic style especially if you are a college going student.
13. One shoulder Indian Dress : This is unlike classic polka dots is an Indian style Polka dots created through Bandhani technique. Alia Bhat looks a synonym of a real Indian beauty in this long one shoulder Bandhani style Polka dots dress by ace designer Sabyasachi at the recently released Kalank event. To give it a flowly silhouette, she tied a belt on her waist which again is a good idea as it also works as an accessory.
14. Polka Dots Shirt : This is a must have polka dots item in your wardrobe as it can be styled in many ways and can be carry with anything. Wear your polka dots shirt, tucked in a plain denim to look formal. A perfect choice for an office. Else make your shirt front knotted to make it crop and wear it with a hot pants and sneakers and look street chic or college hottie like every boys crush Disha Patani.